CELEBRATE PRIDE MONTH with the Open Table Network
JUNE is Pride Month, dedicated to celebrating LGBTQIA+ communities around the world.
It marks the anniversary of the Stonewall riots, a protests that sparked a movement for equality for LGBTQIA+ people in the USA and across the world. The first event was in New York on 28th June 1970.
Today it is a celebration of the relative freedoms LGBTQIA+ people have won in the last 50+ years, but it also remains a protest against the prejudice which still holds us back, especially for our siblings in countries where they may risk their liberty or event their lives to live authentically and openly as LGBTQIA+.
June is also the anniversary of the start of the first Open Table community in Liverpool, which started on Sunday 15th June 2008, 13 years ago. It's also six years since we became a network - little did we know then that we would become a charity and a growing partnership of Christian worship communities which welcome and affirm LGBTQIA people, our families, friends and all our allies.
For our anniversary in June 2020, we published this reflection on Pride & Protest led by Alex and Jo Clare-Young, with a blessing from Right Revd Alan Wilson, Bishop of Buckingham [17.5 mins].
This was part of a national online conference - we're planning another later this year - watch this space for details.
Our communities across England and Wales will celebrate Pride this month, and across the summer, depending on when local Pride events are planned. Local groups who are marching, hosting community stalls and celebrating may be eligible for a small grant from Christians At Pride, in partnership with OneBodyOneFaith. READ MORE for details of how to apply.
READ ON for details of new Scripture resources from our Co-Chair Alex Clare-Young, a reflection on the blessing of queerness by our trustee Augustine Tanner-Ihm, and our special Q&A for Pride Month.
More Pride Month reflections coming soon on our blog!
Catch up on our news and events:
• REGISTER: What would you ask It's A Sin actor and HIV activist Nathaniel Hall? Pride Month Q&A with Revd Steven Hilton from Manchester Cathedral, Thursday 17th June 7-8pm
• REMEMBER: 'Beyond all the labels, I simply come as I am' - Cate's story from the tenth anniversary of Open Table Liverpool, June 2018
• REFLECT: Being in a body: Embodiment, gender, sexuality and spiritual accompaniment - Our Coordinator reflects on a workshop for trainee spiritual directors in May 2019
• WATCH: Stories of solidarity for International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia & Biphobia [49 mins], in collaboration with Diverse Church, House of Rainbow, OneBodyOneFaith, Quest and Two:23 Network
• READ: Our latest news and blogs:
o London priest who supported lesbian faces disciplinary complaint
o Living In Love & Faith 'working group on gender identity and transition' - OTN Co-Chair responds
• RESEARCH: Queerly beloved: Bridging spaces of Christian faith and LGBTQ+ identity through creativity
• SUPPORT US? How to help us do more to help you
PLEASE DO contact me:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org - I'm here to help!
Please be assured of my continuing prayers and support,
Yours in Christ,
Kieran Bohan, Open Table Network Co-ordinator