Forum Home » Discussion Forums » General Discussion » Thread

Small Group Study Material

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-12-08

PM

I have been looking through PCN resources for something which could
a)  Move a small group onward, theologically.
b)  Not frighten those with an evangelical background,  and so result in utter rejection.
c)  Be affordable -  most of such packages on offer are way beyond my budget.
      (surely PCN should sponsor such material as a vehicle for growth)
d)  Be compact enough (say 20 mins) in presentation to leave plenty of time for discussion.

Does anyone have such a gem up their sleeve?

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-02-11

PM

Dear Edward

You may want to look at the Together in Hope series, each title is modestly priced and is divided into study sessions. 
Together in Hope

PCN Britain is in the process of developing a learning course similar to Living the Questions and we will keep everyone updated on our progress.

I hope that this helps,
Sarah

Administrator, PCN Britain

Rank

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-05-01

PM

Hello Edward,
Sarah’s suggestion is a good one.  Another option, thinking of your wish for a presentation of about 20 minutes, is Living the Questions 2, a DVD based course.  If I remember correctly this gives you 21 sessions, each of about 20 minutes.  As a member of PCN, you can rent this from us for £30 and use it over a period of up to two years.  It comes on three DVDs so you can also borrow part of the course for a prorata fee.
http://www.pcnbritain.org.uk/resources/dvd-library/living_the_questions_2
You can ask our librarian to borrow it for a week to see if you think it suitable.  If you follow the link you can listen to a trailer and contact the librarian, Jess Lee.
I know many UK groups which have successfully used this course as a first step into their exploration of a more progressive theology.  Some of Borg’s insights in the opening sessions are absolutely classic introductions to progressive Christianity. 
(You will also find Living the Questions 2 in our online shop - though the cost is not so modest).
Andy

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-12-08

PM

Thank you both for your help.
I was looking for a DVD based package, so Living the Question is a better option.
I’ll see how the trailer goes down.
It’s not easy to steer some ships from the safety of the harbour
especially when they’ve got their anchors down.
Edward