Forum Home » Discussion Forums » General Discussion » Thread

Is Radical Church Possible?

RankRank

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2016-08-10

PM

Can we try using the forum to open up a discussion around Adrian Alker’s recent book “Is Radical Church Possible?”

There are many ways we could approach this but we need to begin somewhere. So let’s try a fairly basic schedule and see if it appeals?

Could we aim to read and discuss Adrian’s text at roughly one/two chapters per week. The forum will be more effective if people are reading and contributing at roughly the same rate. This would give us a fairly focused couple of months (Oct-Nov 2016) to consider the issues raised.

The next post will open up discussion around the introduction and first chapter “Would the ‘Real’ Jesus Please Step Forward?”

You may find Adrian’s questions at the end of chapter 1 helpful in guiding your initial reflections.

RankRank

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2016-08-10

PM

There’s a lot of interest in this thread but the web editor has asked us to wait and see if it’s possible for Adrian Alker to join us. The discussion will also be much stronger, if we all manage to to keep in sync, as we read and comment on Adrian’s text.

Just heard from Adrian, he is interested in the possibility of discussing his book here in the forum. He has asked if we can be careful to avoid any infringement of copyright through direct quotation. For this reason I have redacted the questions originally shown above.

I have also found a wonderfully informative blog post from Common Dreams 2016 written by Margaret from Mapleton, Queensland, Australia. As she attended Adrian’s talk and gave a glowing review, I have contacted her and asked if she is happy for us to share her thoughts here. I have also suggested that she (and others) could join us here, as we discuss Adrian’s text.

Margaret writes…

‘I joined up in an elective that explored “Is Radical Church Possible?” Adrian Alker and his wife from the UK came from a background of active ministry in Leeds, Sheffield, Cumbria and Wigan.

As a well organised and excellent communicator, Adrian asked the group to re-imagine a Jesus shaped church. His list of must haves was easily understood – passionate about the right things; justice, loving, healing, compassionate; prophetic and inclusive; holy, meditates the sacred; blesses all life; and offers a journey of discovery and questioning.

He then went on to say that the elements of a radical church are:
1.  being honest/ good scholarship
2.  re-imagining liturgy and words
3.  being passionate about the right words
4.  offering a framework in which people can feel secure and familiar.

I enjoyed Adrian’s strong, confident presentation that left me pondering the idea that ‘church is less a fortress of faith and more a resource of the soul.’

Many thanks, Margaret!
Chris.

Image Attachments

Adrian_Alker_SM.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image