Violence Divine - Overcoming the Bible’s Betrayal of Its Non-Violent God
An eight-session DVD-based study series from Wild Goose Resource Group in Glasgow. Tonight’s is the 5th in the series, the next sessions are on 16th, 23rd and 30th January
- Start Date:
- Tuesday 9th January 2018
- Start Time:
- Iona Community, 21 Carlton Court, Glasgow G5 9JP
- Graham Maule
- 0141 429 7281.
- John Dominic Crossan (on DVD)
- £25/ £15 concession (suggested donation for all 8 sessions)
Is the only path to shalom through a valley of capricious divine bloodshed?
One of the world’s foremost historical Jesus scholars helps the church and its alumni/ae rise above the greatest of Christian treasons: that everlasting peace can only be achieved through the onslaught of divine violence.
Filmed before a live audience in a workshop setting, professor and author John Dominic Crossan summarizes the essence of his bestselling ‘How To Read The Bible And Still Be A Christian: Struggling with divine violence from Genesis to Revelation’ and shows the way forward for those seeking an authentic Christianity for the 21st century.
Violence Divine is an eight-session DVD-based series, which weeWONDERBOX will be running in two halves (@7.00-9.00pm each Tuesday evening in November, and then the same throughout January).
The basic format for each 1.5 hour session includes chapter breaks and discussion questions related to each 40-minute video segment.
- 7th Nov: An Epic Matrix
- 14th Nov: Sin and Escalatory Violence
- 21st Nov: The Heart of the Torah
- 28th Nov: Deuteronomy Rules
- 9th Jan: Undecided Justice
- 16th Jan: Not, Not, Not, Not, Not, NOT the End of the World
- 23rd Jan: The ‘Violentization’ of Jesus
- 30th Jan: Overcoming the Bible’s Betrayal of Its Non-Violent God
Violence Divine is part of the Iona Community & Wild Goose Resource Group’s 2017-18 weeWONDERBOX programme. See the weeWONDERBOX 2017-18 listings page for more information about these.