Being Honest to God
- Being Honest to God - photos (photos)
A conference celebrating 50 years of “Honest to God”. At this event PCN Britain will be marking its 10th Anniversary by signing the Charter for Compassion..
BOOKING FOR THIS EVENT HAS NOW CLOSED. WE CAN ONLY ACCEPT NEW NAMES IF WE HAVE A LATE CANCELLATION. TO ENQUIRE, CONTACT ANDY VIVIAN
- Start Date:
- Friday 8th November 2013
- Start Time:
- The Hayes Conference Centre, Swanwick, Derbyshire, DE55 1AU
- Andy Vivian
- 01594 516528
- Simon Barrow, Jan Berry, James Crossley, Elaine Graham, Richard Holloway and Martyn Percy
- Jointly PCN Britain & Modern Church
- £190, £175 for members of PCN or Modern Church
Fifty years ago, in 1963 Bishop John Robinson, then bishop of Woolwich, wrote a small but intense book called Honest to God. Despite a century of biblical critical scholarship, this book caused the kind of upset for many Christians as the writings of Bishops Jenkins and Spong have done in decades since. In challenging an understanding of God as an old man, enthroned above the clouds, an external deity remote from our everyday lives, Robinson threw down the gauntlet to his readers to think critically and creatively about God and the world. Honest to God had implications for theology and biblical study, for worship and liturgy and for moral decision making.
Fifty years on, our context and culture in these islands has of course changed. Yet we still debate the place of religion and its significance in the public and private spheres of life. This weekend conference, taking its themes from Honest to God, will address such areas as ethics and theology but now through twenty first century eyes. We shall be enabled to do this through the talks and discussions led by contemporary and eminent thinkers. Our hopes are, as they were for Robinson those fifty years ago, that Christian faith, experienced in modern and progressive ways may be as relevant and meaningful for our times as it was for the passionate followers of Christ two thousand years ago.
The speakers at this conference will be:
- Prof Elaine Graham of Chester University is the Conference Chair and will begin the conference with a talk entitled “Being Honest”.
- Richard Holloway, formerly Bishop of Edinburgh and well known for his writing and broadcasting as well as his work in the arts will give an after dinner talk on the theme “Being Honest about God”.
- Canon Dr Martyn Percy, Principal of Ripon Theological College, Cuddesdon will invite the conference to be Honest about the Church.
- Prof James Crossley, from the Biblical Studies Department of Sheffield University will speak to the title: “Being Honest about Jesus”.
- Simon Barrow, Co-Director of Ekklesia, will encourage discussion on topical ethical themes, with an invitation to be Honest about Ourselves.
Rev Dr Jan Berry, is principal of Open College at Luther King House, Manchester, a writer and liturgist who will lead us in creative thinking about worship.
Charter for Compassion. PCN Britain will mark its 10th anniversary at this conference by signing the Charter for Compassion and inviting all our members and friends to do the same.